HomeAbout UsEventsPhoto GalleryLocal HistoryPast ProgramsCollectionsLinks

Just after the turn of the 20th century this grocery store was operating on the corner of East Broad and Seminary Avenue. An
early Model T "C" Cab Delivery Hack brought farm-fresh goods right to your door.
Very little information about the Hopewell Cornet Band is available. Before the advent of recorded music, many small towns established their own homegrown music to play for parades and other local events.
Members of the Hopewell Baseball Team pose on their Columbia Avenue playing field. Intense rivalry between local town teams was regularly reported in The Hopewell Herald. Play ball lads!
Harry Cox established his "Shaving Parlor" on Seminary Avenue in 1903 and continued in this location until 1946. This small building was built expressly for his business and was demolished shortly after it ceased operations.
In the late 19th century the Holcomb & Brothers General Merchandise business was located across from the Old School Baptist Church. A sign out front indicates the post office was located within and that “Job Printing” was available on the second floor.
Piggott’s "Hopewell Valley Agricultural Warehouse", located on Mercer Street, was the farmers best friend. Not only did they sell the latest in equipment, but they repaired everything as well.
Hopewell’s most beloved building today changed the focus of business activity when it was constructed in the late 1870’s. The railroad opened the village up to the outside world when its rails were laid in 1876.
Miss Bogg's Female Seminary on Broad Street was the only private school in Hopewell during the 19th century. Referred to as a "Ladies Finishing School", it could accommodate 25 boarding students and accepted day students.
Images of Old Hopewell 

This gallery contains a small fraction of our holdings relating to present day Hopewell Borough. These images tell the story of this small rural town, connected in 1876 to the outside world by the Delaware & Bound Brook Railroad. What had been a sleepy village since before the American Revolution, was now starting to come alive. Its ties to the Fight for Liberty were strong. A Signer of the Declaration of Independence, John Hart, had called Hopewell home (then Hopewell Meeting House), and a critical Council of War  had taken place nearby in 1778 to plan strategy for the Battle of Monmouth. 

With the arrival of the railroad local farmers had a much larger market for their goods, and urban families could move to the country, and still have easy access to New York and Philadelphia. The town grew as homes were constructed.  As homes were built, more businesses opened to supply the demand for goods and services. The town schools grew proportionally. The strongest bonds in this community has always been within the churches. Hopewell Borough was created as a separate municipality in 1891, yet its legal boundaries expanded only once in 1915. 

Throughout its long history, Hopewell has always been surrounded by large working farms.  With the advent of Green Acres funding in the latter part of the 20th century, and the "green belt" planning concept, most of the open lands surrounding Hopewell Borough have been permanently preserved.

Please enjoy this gallery and check back soon to see what we've added. If you like what you see please consider supporting the work we do by becoming a member of the Hopewell Valley Historical Society today. 

JOIN NOW