HomeAbout UsEventsPhoto GalleryLocal HistoryPast ProgramsCollectionsLinks

A mule drawn barge on the Delaware & Raritan Canal approaches a swing bridge at Grant Street in Titusville  (ca. 1890) Photograph courtesy Carol & Bob Meszaros
Swift's Riverview House catered to weary travelers on the Delaware River and D&R Canal. (ca. 1880) Christopher Bannister Collection
The Titusville Public School on River Drive had separate entrances for boys and girls. (ca. 1904) Theodore Snook Collection, HVHS
This huge complex was located just north of Church Road along the D&R Canal. Titusville Mills, built in 1849 on the site of an earlier mill, originally included a separate saw mill and grist mill building. It was demolished and a gas station sits on the site today. Theodore Snook Collection, HVHS
This early 20th century photo shows the Titusville Train Station at Church Road. The old "Bel-Del" ran alongside of the canal carrying passengers and freight. The Delaware Hotel is visible behind the station and a steam engine approaches on the right. HVHS
The Titusville Presbyterian Schoolhouse was built in 1857-58 along the southern edge of the village on today’s River Drive. It operated as a parochial school until the end of the century and was demolished shortly thereafter. Christopher Bannister Collection, HVHS
Two ladies pose on the swing bridge that crossed the D&R Canal at Washington’s Crossing. These bridges allowed local road traffic to cross the canal but moved when necessary to allow boats to pass. HVHS
The society owns a collection of photographs taken by Theodore S. Snook of Titusville around the turn of the last century. His family waits patiently here while he “makes” a picture of them in their buggy pulled by “Old Pete” . Their home on River Drive is in the background.
Titusville & Washington Crossing
Joseph Titus purchased 300 acres of land along the Delaware River about 1750. This property contained stands of forest timber and several streams. Mills were created on both sides of Fiddlers Creek, and an empire was born. Generations of the Titus family carried on these business ventures, while purchasing more land, operating stores and ultimately selling river front lots.

One hundred years after that original purchase, Titusville was the busiest place in Hopewell Valley. River traffic had been supplying lumber and coal to the growing cities downstream for years. Then, in 1834 the D&R Canal opened, and by 1851 the first railroad arrived.

Titusville hosted river raftsmen, canal boatsmen, and travelers of  every description. As homes were built, blacksmiths, wheelwrights and general stores opened. Churches were erected, hotels started operations and the village expanded ever so slightly.

All the while the community took great pride in the historic Revolutionary War events that had taken place nearby. A park honoring those historic efforts would open in 1927.

The growth in Titusville was limited by its physical location and the large tracts of land surrounding it that were held by farmers.  Those who did own homes along the narrow strip of land bounded by the river and canal, took great pride in them. Today visitors are fortunate to experience Titusville much as it was in the past. Beautifully preserved old homes, neatly manicured lawns and sweeping views of the Delaware River.

Please enjoy this gallery and check back soon to see what we've added. If you like what you see,  please consider supporting the work we do by becoming a new HVHS
member today. 
JOIN NOW